The West Milford Museum
The West Milford Museum building was constructed in the early 1860's in the Gothic Revival style, and was originally a Methodist Episcopal (M.E.) Church. In 1906, the church and its property were purchased by the Deghuees, Egberts, and Voorhees families. The photo shown below was taken around 1900.
In 1911, the trustees deeded the church and its property to the Township of West Milford, solely for municipal use. The building began its years of service to the Township when it became West Milford's Town Hall in 1912 and remained the Town Hall until 1958 when expansion became necessary and the present Town Hall was constructed on vacant land across from the original site. From 1958 until 1987, the current Museum site was referred to as the Town Hall Annex.
During the 1980s, the Township of West Milford determined that the building at 1477 Union Valley Road would be an ideal location for the future West Milford Township Museum. It received official designation by the Historic Preservation Commission as a Local Historic Landmark in 1993. Following years of fundraising efforts and with some dedicated funding from the Township, renovation work was implemented by the Heritage Committee. Along with numerous volunteers, and assistance from local businesses, individuals, and the Township, the development of the West Milford Museum continues to this day.
This simple structure began its humble service to the community as a church during the nineteenth century, and as the twentieth century commenced, it provided a much needed home for the Township's local government and community events. Now, during the twenty-first century, the Museum building continues to serve the Township of West Milford by preserving its history for future generations.