Most of the model codes have provisions in them for administration of that particular code. The State of New Jersey does not adopt the administrative sections of the model codes. Through the legislative process New Jersey has written and adopted their own administrative code known as the Uniform Construction Code, State of New Jersey (Title 5 Section 23 of the New Jersey Administrative Code). This title is often shortened to "the UCC" or "the Regs" as know among state code officials and sometimes "the blue book" due to it's blue binder. The correct citation of this code is N.J.A.C. 5:23 -subcode -subsection.
Within the UCC are the regulations required for all construction activities and how they are to be administered within the state. The regulations also include the Asbestos Hazard Abatement Subcode, the Radon Hazard Subcode, the Elevator Safety Subcode, the Modular Buildings and homes Subcodes, the Barrier Free Subcode and the newly adopted Rehabilitation Subcode .
The UCC also modifies the model codes sections to tailor them to the needs of New Jersey, this is why it is important to be well versed in the UCC. If you try to design without the UCC in your code library your drawings and spec's may contain code deficiencies and /or may exceed the code in certain areas which could increase construction costs and delay plan review and/or the issuance of permit(s). See below for ordering instructions.
The adopted codes for the State of New Jersey are as follows:
* NOTE: Purchase information links below are to the non-profit Model Code Organizations that publish the codes and are for your convenience. You are not purchasing the codes from The Township of West Milford.
1. Subcodes Subchapter- this subchapter adopts & modifies the model codes: N.J.A.C. 5:23-3.0
a. Building Subcode Þ International Building Code New Jersey Edition Purchase Information
b. Plumbing Subcode Þ International Plumbing Code c. Electrical Subcode Þ National Electrical Code
d. Fire Protection Subcode Þ International Builiding Code, International Mechanical Code and National Electrical Code
e. Energy Subcode Þ
1) Residential 3 Stories or Less: International Energy Conservation Code
2) All other Uses and Residential Greater Than 3 Stories: ASHRAE 90.1-1999 Purchase Information.
REScheck software for checking energy code compliance.
COMcheck software is available from the Department of Energy that makes showing compliance easier...FREE!
f. Manufactured home Subcode Þ Federal Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards, as set forth in Part 3280 of Title 24 of the Code of Federal Regulations, including all revisions and amendments
Important: Also see N.J.A.C. 5:23-48 and N.J.A.C. 5:23-4C N.J.A.C. 5:23-3.19 g. Mechanical Subcode Þ International Mechanical Code h. Indoor Air Quality Subcode Þ ASHRAE 62-1989 (Ventilation for Acceptable Indoor Air Quality) & as modified by the UCC: N.J.A.C. 5:23-3.20A
i. One & Two- Family Dwelling Subcode Þ International Residential Code New Jersey Edition.
j. Fuel Gas Subcode Þ International Fuel Gas Code
2. Rehabilitation Subchapter Þ This regulates work on ALL existing buildings in the state N.J.A.C. 5:23-6.0
3. UCC Barrier Free Subchapter 7 Þ N.J.A.C. 5:23-7.0 and ICC/ANSI A117.1-2003 American National Standard.
This regulates accessibility requirements in the state. Please note: New Jersey does not adopt or enforce the Federal ADA standards. New Jersey enforces UCC subchapter seven for the ADA standards.
4. Asbestos SubchapterÞ This subchapter regulates asbestos abatement work in New Jersey N.J.A.C. 5:23-8.0 5
5. Radon Hazard Subchapter Þ This subchapter regulates radon requirements in New Jersey N.J.A.C. 5:23-10.0
6. Elevator Safety Subchapter Þ This subchapter regulates elevators & related equip. in New Jersey N.J.A.C. 5:23-12.0
The UCC can be obtained from the State of New Jersey, Department of Community Affairs, Division of Codes and Standards: Publications. Telephone: 609-984-0040. It is also recommend that you purchase the subscription service to keep your new book up to date as the regulations change periodically. UCC Order form