Established by Ordinance through Administration of Government, Chapter 15 (§15-80).
Powers and jurisdictions of the Planning Board.
(1) The Planning Board shall have the powers listed below in addition to other powers established by law:
(a) Make, adopt and from time to time amend the Township Master Plan for the physical development of the Township, including any areas outside its boundaries which, in the Planning Board's judgment, bear essential relation to the planning of the Township.
(b) Subdivision control and site plan review and approval pursuant to this Land Development Ordinance.
(c) Review and comment on the Official Map of the Township prior to its adoption by the Township Council, pursuant to N.J.S.A. 40:55D-25a.
(d) Participate in the preparation and review of programs or plans required by state or federal law or regulation.
(e) Assemble data on a continuing basis as part of a continuous planning process.
(f) Annually prepare a program of municipal capital improvements projects projected over a term of six years and amendments thereto and recommend same to the Township Council.
(g) Consider and report to the Township Council within 35 days after referral regarding any proposed development regulation submitted to it and also pass upon other matters specifically referred to the Planning Board by the Township Council.
(2) The Planning Board shall have such other powers as prescribed by law, including, but not limited to, the power to grant the following variances, to the same extent and subject to the same restrictions as the Board of Adjustment, when the Planning Board is reviewing applications for approval of subdivision plans, site plans or conditional uses:
(a) Grant variances pursuant to § 420-6F(1)(c) of this chapter.
(b) Direction pursuant to § 420-6G(1)(a) for issuance of a permit for a building or structure in the bed of a mapped street or public drainageway, flood control basin or public area.
(c) Direction pursuant to § 420-6G(1)(b) for issuance of a permit for a building or structure on a lot not abutting a street.
The West Milford Township Planning Board is comprised of six volunteer members, each serving terms of four years; two volunteer alternates, each serving terms of two years; the Mayor, who serves a [four-year term]; an additional member of the Township Council, who serves a one-year term; and one Township Official, who serves a one-year term.
WEST MILFORD TOWN HALL
MAIN MEETING ROOM
|2023 Meeting Dates|
Meetings are held in the Main Meeting Room of the West Milford Municipal Building, 1480 Union Valley Road, West Milford, New Jersey, 07480, beginning at 7:00 p.m. The Main Meeting Room is ADA accessible. Special needs may be accomodated by contacting the Planning Board at 973-728-2798. Schedule changes will be posted on the Township website at www.westmilford.org.
2023 PLANNING BOARD
Chair Christopher Garcia
Vice Chair Geoffrey Syme
Mayor Michele Dale
Councilman Ada Erik
#1 Steven Castronova #2 JoAnn Blom
Secretary - Pamela Jordan
Board Attorney - Vogel, Chait, Collins & Schneider
Board Engineer- Paul W. Ferriero, P.E. Ferriero Engineering, Inc
Board Planner - J. Caldwell & Associates LLC
Hydrogeologic Consultant - M2 Associates
Planning Board Subcommittees:
Site Plan/Subdivision Subcommittee: No appointments at this time
Ordinance Subcommittee: Christopher Garcia, Steven Castronova, Linda Connolly
Master Plan Subcommittee: Christopher Garcia, James Rogers, Geoffrey Syme,
Design Standards Subcommittee:
The statutory functions and powers of the Planning Board are:
· To develop and maintain the Master Plan of the Township. The Master Plan guides the land uses and development of the Township.
· To develop, maintain, and recommend changes, as may be necessary, to the Official Zoning Map of the Township.
· To develop, maintain, and recommend changes, as may be necessary, to the Township Land Development Ordinance.
· To review and control the creation of land subdivisions within the Township. To review and control site plans of permitted non-residential uses within the Township.
· To review and control conditional use applications.
· To review, if authorized, the Township’s Capital Improvement Program.