Page Navigation Show page menu
  • Frequently Asked Questions

Department: Police

Go To Section Show section list
  • Police
    • Can I remain anonymous when calling in suspicious activity?

      Yes.  Just advise the Dispatcher that you would like to remain anonymous and then provide the pertinent information such as location, descriptions and anything else that will assist the responding officers.

    • Can I ride an ATV/dirtbike on the roadway?

      No ATV shall be operated on or across a public highway or public lands or waters of this State unless it is properly registered and insured.  No person shall operate an ATV on private property without first receiving permission to do so by the property owner.  No person under the age of 14 shall operate or be allowed to operate an ATV across a public highway or on public lands or waters of this State.  A person less than 16 years of age shall not operate an ATV across a public highway or on public lands or waters of this State with an engine displacement greater than 90 c.c.(cubic centimeters).  A person less than 18 years of age shall not operate a registered ATV across a public highway or on public lands or waters of this state without first successfully completing an all-terrain vehicle safety education and training course approved by this State.  The operator of the ATV shall have proof of course completion in their possession.  A properly registered and insured ATV many only be operated on the main traveled portion of a public street or highway in order to cross it.  The ATV must first come to a complete stop and then yield to any vehicular traffic on the roadway/highway.  The crossing must be completed safely and as directly as possible, without interfering with the flow of traffic in either direction.  When unable to gain immediate access to the area adjacent to the crossing the ATV may be operated parallel to the highway/roadway but not on the roadway.

    • Can I tint my car windows?

      No person shall drive any motor vehicle whose windows cause any undue or unsafe distortion of visibility.  The manufacturer provides each vehicle windshield with a certain percentage of “tint”, and the manufacturer’s approval is distinctively marked on the glass.  All “tint” not inspected and approved by the Division Of Motor Vehicle is in violation of N.J.S.A. 39:3-75. The reason for the limitation on the amount of “tint” you are allowed to have is police officer safety.  When approaching a vehicle, which has “tinted” windows, it is difficult for the officer to see who or what is inside the vehicle.  The officer then needs to prepare himself/herself for the unexpected since their sight into the vehicle is now limited.  Like most people, officers don’t like to go into places or situations where their sight is limited. 

    • Do I have to wear a bicycle helmet?

      Under the age of 16 you must wear an authorized helmet when bicycling, rollerblading and skateboarding. If not, parents will be issued a summons.  Remember, the use of an authorized helmet can drastically reduce the seriousness of injuries.

    • How can I obtain a Firearms ID card and/or gun permit?

      Directions for the online firearms application process can be found in the Forms & Documents section of the website.

    • How do I become a Police Officer for the Township of West Milford?

      In order to become a Police Officer for the Township you must have at least a High School education.  You then apply to take the New Jersey Civil Service Exam offered by the N.J. Department of Personnel.  Your score from this exam will be valid for 2 years. Pick up applications for the New Jersey Civil Service Examination at Police Headquarters. You then mail the application to the N.J. Department of Personnel.  Applicants must meet the requirements set forth by the N.J. Department of Personnel.  West Milford does not have a residency requirement, however there is a hiring preference towards Township residents. 

    • If I see a raccoon out during the day is it rabid?

      Only if the raccoon appears slow and lethargic, and seems to be disorientated, otherwise it can be normal for the raccoon to be out during the day time hours.

    • Is Clinton Road and New City Road really haunted as reported by Weird New Jersey Magazine?

      We are not experts on ghosts, but the Officers that have been on the job for 30+ years can assure you that they have never seen a ghost.  This department does take ghost hunting very seriously and will charge anyone found to be harassing local residents or causing a hazardous situation.

    • What are the Municipal Court & Violations Office hours?

      Municipal Court Hours
      Tuesday – 5:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.
      Thursday – 2:30 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.
      (Court hours may be different on Holidays)

      Violations Office Hours
      8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 
      On Monday, Wednesday and Fridays extended hours of 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. are available.  Call (973) 728-2751 prior to coming to insure there will be someone in the office when you arrive.

    • What do I do if I see a bear?

      You may call Police Headquarters to report a bear in the area, but we cannot remove it, only attempt to frighten it away.  Do not approach the bear or offer it any food. There is a Township ordinance against the feeding of bears

    • What happens if I lose my driver’s license?

      You must file a Police report, and bring verification down to the Division of Motor Vehicles.

    • When can I come in for fingerprints?

      Anytime, but we suggest you call (973)728-2802 to avoid being subject to a delay due to busy time.